3.12.12

En Route


I took the bus to work today. Usually I sit by the window and gaze at people going by. I wonder where people could be traveling to, if they are late, if they had a chance to eat breakfast and if they are cold. I can usually answer all of the above with a glance but sometimes I listen for "stomach talk" and chattering teeth. I've been making an effort to consciously engage all of my senses. Sometimes I fear that if I lose my sight in old age that this loss might define me. Close your eyes. There are Four other fantastic ways to engage in the world.

Like I said, I took the bus to work today- surprisingly on schedule, had a smoothie for breakfast and was mildly overheated on the bus. If one was observing me they might see a bead of sweat meander on my stubble. Sometimes I wonder if people have the same questions as I do... Not because I think they are brilliant questions or anything but rather because I realize that there are billions of people in world and it is probable that one might share my curiosities. 

I took the bus to work today and the window seats were taken. I don't blame anyone for taking my seat but I do think I have the right to be silently annoyed. Sometimes I feel an overwhelming sense of ownership over public spaces. At times it helps to maintain the beauty in the shared spaces of my city and at other times I find it hard to co-exist. I'm in my 20s and I'm still learning how to share. I think this is something we should all admit to ourselves at least once in a lifetime.

I took the bus to work today and I sat opposite a young boy wearing a stunning shirt. It was elaborately encrypted with a secret code that a realist might call pattern. I am a dreamer and I often see things upside down. It is this type of thinking that is often shunned but ironically enough leads to innovation. I wondered where he was going, if he was late, if he was enjoying his banana and most importantly if he was greasy or sweating. As I went through my list of questions I became transfixed by the design of his shirt. 

I took the bus to work today and traveled a new route. I worked through the maze on his shirt weaving in and out of fibers and dyes in hopes of reaching an exotic destination. Instead, I found an infinity of loops and swirls creating a cycle that could only be repeated. I was in awe. The bus came to a startling halt and I spiraled out of my adventure unharmed.

I took the bus to work today and was reminded of the simple pleasures of good design and passive interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment