20.11.12

Break it Yourself

 

I finally got the opportunity to listen to Andrew Bird's latest album, Break it yourself. As I type this, I'm trying to hide my enthusiasm for fear of sounding like a lunatic. I've raved about various artists time and time again but this is different. Perhaps it's my mood, as of late, or the way I'm moving about the city but I've reached a higher level of admiration for Andrew's innovative sense of musicality.
On the album you'll hear the familiar groove that Bird brings to all of his music. There are the pushes and pulls I've come to know and love and of course, the effervescent whistle that soars in and out of melody. With this album, it's the lyrics that set him apart from the pack. Suddenly there are deeper layers of meaning from macro to the micro, a grapple with language and word association and a constant shift between fantasy and reality. All of these aspects come together to create a thought provoking album that takes you to the darkest corners of the mind's eye. I've been looking at the world very differently the past few weeks and I have Andrew to thank.

Go 'Head, Give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment