25.7.12

Dreaming & Baker


Lately, I've spent a lot of time thinking and perhaps not enough time doing. I took my head out of the clouds and planted my feet on street level for just enough time to have a meet and greet with reality. 
In the 1920s Mr. Loos had dreams of building a house for Ms. Baker- one that would completely change the Parisian street as we know it. It was to be clad in strips of black and white marble and would feature an indoor swimming pool where passersby could admire Josephine taking a dip in her pool. I often continue this dream in my mind and fantasize about what it might be like to see Josephine walking her pet Leopard on the city street in some outrageous garment. Even now it puts a smile to my face as I sit here and imagine such a scene. Adolf Loos had a vision that never came into fruition even though his vision was so clearly illustrated.

At times, my dreams are a little bit fuzzy and come in fragments. My dreams take malleable forms and change direction with the wind. I am often unsure if my dreams should be perused or if I'm shooting past the stars. As children we are taught that our goals must be attainable but at some point we differentiate goals from dreams. Adolf's dream for the built environment is nothing like mine. I see a clear depiction of what could be a physical structure and an aesthetic bold enough to match Ms. Baker's personality. His vision is stable and solid. Truth be told, weather in focus or blurry a dream is merely a dream.

If Adolf couldn't do it, what chance do we have?

No comments:

Post a Comment